You may be curious as to what the course GWO First Aid may be.
This short course provides the basic first aid skills, knowledge, and practical competence for participants to work safely in the wind industry.
It allows its graduates to handle emergency response for new personnel in the global wind industry workspace.
Find out more about the details of this course below!
What Is GWO First Aid?
GWO First Aid is part of the Global Wind Organisation (GWO) course portfolio. This specific portfolio is the basis for training in the global wind energy and renewables industry.
The course is facilitated by experienced instructors in excellence centres that simulate a real-world environment.
It aims to enable participants to immediately perceive danger and know the proper protocol to handle it.
The central theme of the course is to save lives and prevent further injury while waiting for the next level of care.
Overview of the GWO First Aid Course
GWO First Aid involves both theoretical and practical training.
It is designed to allow participants to administer safe first aid and meet emergency response requirements set by the GWO Basic Safety Training.
Who Is the Course Suitable For?
The course is suitable for both onshore and offshore personnel in the global wind industry. It is inclusive to those with duties in a wind turbine environment or any offshore wind structure.
Its essential aim is to protect all engineers and staff.
Course Prerequisites & Requirements
To enrol in the course, a delegate must meet the following prerequisites and requirements:
- Age of majority – The delegate should be at least 18 years old. They must provide a valid ID, such as a passport or driving licence.
- WINDA Registration – You must register with the Global Wind Industry Records Database (WINDA) before arriving for your course. Bring the ID that you are provided with.
- Medical Questionnaire – Completely answer their medical questionnaire beforehand.
- Work Boots and Other Protective Equipment – This is optional. Some training centres provide protective equipment for the practical elements of their course.
Most GWO First Aid training courses include learning about the following:
- Hazards on and offshore
- The responsibilities of a first aider
- Management of serious and minor injuries
- Other supplementary scenarios and exercises
Course Learning Objectives
After successful completion of the training course, participants should be able to demonstrate the following:
- Understanding the significance of performing first aid in a safe and sound manner
- Proper first aid according to the legislative requirements of their geographic location, ERC guidelines, and AHA guidelines
- Proper knowledge of how to identify and explain normal function, vital signs, and signs of injuries and illness relating to the human body
- Understanding and correct order of management during an emergency situation in a wind turbine generator environment
- Proper use of first aid equipment in a particular situation
- Correct use of the ABC primary survey
- Correct use of an automatic external defibrillator (AED)
- Correct use of ordinary first aid, the secondary survey
Other GWO First Aid Courses
GWO offers other first aid courses as well. The following are other courses that aim to strengthen a participant’s first aid techniques and knowledge:
GWO Enhanced First Aid Course
This course provides enhanced skills to its participants to allow them to offer assistance in remote areas.
It focuses on the use of advanced emergency equipment and communication. Those with a valid GWO First Aid certificate can opt to take the shorter version of this course.
GWO First Aid Refresher Course
This refresher course is a requirement every 2 years for renewing certification. It is a supplementary course to the GWO Enhanced course.
What Does It Mean to Have GWO Certification?
Having a GWO Certification means that the individual can act independently in the recognition, assessment, and prioritisation of lifesaving first aid during casualties in the wind turbine industry or wind turbine generator (WTG) environment.
The individual can also take responsibility for recognising the limitations of a primary first aider and calling for help to enable evacuation in case of a casualty in the wind turbine industry or WTG environment.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Is the GWO First Aid Course?
The course can take 1 to 2 days depending on the training centre.
How Long Does GWO Certification Last?
The certification is valid for 2 years.
How Much Is GWO Certification?
The certification costs £138 to £275, but some training centres offer discount packages for the five initial GWO basic safety training courses.
The courses included are GWO First Aid Initial, GWO Fire Awareness, GWO Manual Handling, GWO Survival, and GWO Working at Height.
The GWO First Aid training equips its participants with basic safety training on how to manage casualties in the wind turbine industry or WTG environment.
Costs and duration may vary depending on the training centre that you choose. Make sure that you consider the credibility of your training centre and instructor as well!