Course type: Workshop
Estimated course length: 46 Weeks
Entry Requirements: No prior knowledge or experience is required to start this course.
- Core Gas Safety – Stage 1 – Part Time
- Core Practical Skills – Stage 2 – Part Time
- Work Placement and Portfolio – Stage 3 – Full Time
- ACS Assessment – Stage 4 – Full Time
Our 46-week Weekend & Evening Gas Managed Learning Programme is the UK’s most comprehensive and in-depth gas training course for adults. As the course is completed part-time, this allows you to earn while you learn.
There are two variants of our part-time Gas Managed Learning Programme:
Variant one: Training is completed 6.30pm – 9.30pm on Tuesdays & Thursdays and 8.30am – 3.15pm every Saturday for 38 weeks.
Variant two: Training is completed 8.30am – 3.15pm on Thursdays & Fridays for 38 weeks.
You will then complete a 7-week full-time work placement, which is a mandatory requirement for becoming a gas engineer. The final stage is your 1-week ACS assessment which will be completed full time.
We go the extra mile for all our students, ensuring that they’re not only fully qualified but the most employable as well. Our expert tutors have identified skill shortages within the industry through their years of experience. We have incorporated this knowledge into our training syllabus.
With a blend of classroom and workshop-based learning, we believe that ‘hands-on’ learning is essential to train for a career in the gas industry.
WHY BECOME A GAS ENGINEER?
When students leave our training facilities, they enter a well-established field that offers:
A Competitive Salary
Depending on your experience level and area of expertise, typical salaries for gas engineers range from £30,000 to up to £50,000 a year. By working overtime or running your own business, these figures can increase dramatically.
A Secure Career
Because of the many regulations that require people to hire registered ‘Gas Safe’ engineers, your skills will always be in demand, offering access to a range of career prospects and opportunities. As you gain experience, new opportunities will become available. It’s so much more than just a job – it’s a lifetime career.
Working as a gas engineer is highly rewarding. Every day you will be challenged and tested, relying on your practical skills, customer service, and communication in order to solve problems and succeed. Although not easy, you’ll never be bored while on the job.
No two days on the job are the same. You could find yourself working on small domestic boiler jobs one day, and huge commercial heating systems the next. The constant change of environment makes the career fun and exciting.
Unlike other professions, you’ll be able to manage your own time – and you’ll never be tied to an office chair. Each day will be different, and you’re in the driver’s seat when it comes to scheduling appointments and taking jobs, especially when you own your own business.
Core Gas Safety – Stage 1 – Part Time
Core Gas Safety – 16 Weeks – Part Time
Core Gas Safety is mandatory content for any gas engineer training course and covers all the elements required to pass your final ACS assessments, allowing you to join the Gas Safe Register. These skills are the minimum criteria for becoming a gas engineer and form the foundations of our training programme.
Core Gas Safety Content:
- Safety, Legislation and Standards
- Gas Emergency Actions and Procedures
- Products and Characteristics of Combustion
- Ventilation for Domestic Gas Burning Appliances
- Installation of Pipework and Fittings
- Tightness Testing and Purging
- Checking and/ or Setting Meter Regulators
- Unsafe Situations, Emergency Notices and Warning Labels
- Operation and Positioning of Emergency Isolation
- Controls and Valves Checking and Setting
- Appliance Burner Pressures and Gas Rates
- Operation and Checking of Appliance Gas Safety Devices and Controls
- Chimney Standards
- Chimney Installation, Inspection and Testing
- Re-establish Existing Gas Supply and Re-light Appliances
- Domestic Pipework Installation
Core Practical Skills – Stage 2 – Part Time
Core Practical Skills – 22 Weeks – Part Time
Our Core Practical Skills takes your training to the next level. These topics provide you with the skills and confidence to carry out practical tasks for employers – a key aspect that some training courses may skim over. We believe in training you to be employable as well as qualified, and this module will empower you with the skills and confidence to go out and complete jobs at the end of your course.
Core Practical Skills Content:
- Installation, Service and Repair of Domestic Ducted Air Heaters
- Installation, Service and Repair of Domestic Gas Cooking Appliances
- Installation, Service and Repair of Domestic Gas Fires
- Installation of Domestic Gas Meters
- Boiler Manufacturer Specific Training
- Gas Appliance Component Replacement
- Specific Electrical Controls Training
- Electrical Testing of Gas Appliances and System Controls
- Principles and Procedures of Fault Diagnosis
- Intelligent Heating Controls
- Safe Systems of Work
- Sequence of Operation of Gas Appliances and Systems
- Central Heating System Design
- Landlord Gas Safety Certificates
- Doorstep Protocol and Customer Journey
- Unvented Hot Water Storage Systems
- Basic Plumbing Skills
Work Placement and Portfolio – Stage 3 – Full Time
Work Placement and Portfolio – 7 Weeks – Full Time
All new entrants to the field must complete a portfolio of verified gas work. You are required to record a variety of topics in your portfolio.
Your gas portfolio is your opportunity to stand out from other new engineers. A high-quality portfolio demonstrates to potential employers that you have gained the skills necessary to work in the industry and become a productive member of their team, whilst working safely and effectively. We can’t give you years and years of experience, but we can offer you the best foundation knowledge and practical skills required to build a great career as a gas engineer.
A completed portfolio is your access to your final ACS assessments.
YOUR GUARANTEED GAS WORK PLACEMENT:
As part of your course, we will guarantee you a work placement with a Gas Safe registered company. We are one of the few companies in the UK who can offer this to our students. You cannot complete any new entrant gas course without a work placement.
One of the major benefits of the work placement companies we use is that many of them lead to our candidates being offered full-time employment after training.
ACS Assessment – Stage 4 – Full Time
ACS Assessment – 1 Week – Full Time
The final part of your gas training course involves sitting your ACS assessments. On successful completion of your ACS assessments, you will be eligible to work under the Gas Safe Registration, either for yourself or for an employer.
We have a 98% first-time pass rate for these assessments. If a resit is required, we will identify where you require extra training and provide a re-assessment free of charge.